Re: Corrections to British <-> American Terms

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Corrections to British <-> American Terms
From: scott@psy.uwa.edu.au (Scott Fisher)
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 92 16:11:58 WST
Send submissions to british-cars@autox.team.net

>>mikej@wv.MENTORG.COM (Mike Johnson) writes:
>>> Uit = Pickup Truck
>>> pronounced UTa as in Utility Vehicle.
>
>>acg@hermes.dlogics.com (Andrew C. Green) writes:
>>I'm afraid I don't quite follow the pronunciation logic here but I'll
>>certainly take Mike's word for this one.

>I "talked" with Mike, and he was referring to an Aussie term,
>pronounced "yewt" as short for "utility vehicle."

Pronounced "yewt" or to look at it another way "ewe-t" as in female sheep but
spelled...

ute

Actually don't all Haynes manuals come with an American-British dictionary
in the back?  My Jag one does.

Regards Scott #2
Scott Fisher [scott@psy.uwa.oz.au]  PH: Aus [61] Perth (09) Local (380 3272).

Department of Psychology                                    /      \    W + E
University of Western Australia.                 Perth -->  *_.--._/      S
Nedlands, 6009.  PERTH, W.A.                                      v

    *** ERROR 144 - REBOOT? is a registered trademark of ENSONIQ Corp ***