Car cover, Land Rover group?, Spitfire pistons, etc.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Car cover, Land Rover group?, Spitfire pistons, etc.
From: DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM (Dan Parslow, x2556)
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1992 11:06:11 -0700 (MST)
Since the subject of machine-washing Technalon car covers came up
a while back, may I say that this is definitely an AT OWN RISK
operation!!  I tried machine-washing mine according to methods
given here, but I think I used a too-vigorous cycle, and now what
I have is a rather thinner cover that generates large quantities
of microfine lint.  Fortunately this lint blows away real nicely
at speeds above 40 mph, but still, it's time for a new cover now.
Also please note:  Machine washing destroys the cover's water
replellancy!!!  This was discovered by a friend who otherwise had
a successful technalon washy experience. Apparently it now sheds
water approximately as well as a paper towel.

On the subject of British/'Mercan translations, the Haynes
manuals for Triumphs have a pretty thorough translation table for
English/Yank automotive terms. Takes up most of a page.  How many
of us Yanks knew that a "grub screw" is an (allen) set screw?

>From: britcars@hpfckjs.fc.hp.com
>Subject: My new Land Rover

[...]
>...I think there is a mail group for Land Rovers also...

No-one picked up on this.   Does anyone know of a Land-Rover
group?  There are several Land Rover fans here that I _know_
would be interested...

I have a question for anyone who can field it:  On late '70s US
Spitfires with the dish-head pistons and the infamous 7.5:1
compression, is it possible to just drop in the equivalent flat
UK pistons, or does one need the UK head as well? (Is there a
difference in the head?)  And would this in itself give one that
more sportsmanlike 9:1 ratio?  Any info on this would be greatly
appreciated.

Dan Parslow
parslow@sunquest.com