High temperature paint

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british-cars@autox.team.net)
Subject: High temperature paint
From: Bob Spidell <spidell@hpcc01.corp.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 92 10:58:12 PDT
WRT:

>I am at a dilema an would appreciate some advice. I have a '67 Jaguar
>E-type, Series 1, that I'm restoring. I would like to do something to
>the manifolds, but not sure what. Originally, they were porcelan, but
>that has chipped off, and I've heard that buying new ones or having
>them re-porcelanized is useless, as is soon flakes off. I then tried
>to find a high temperature paint, at least 1400 degrees, but had no
>luck. I tried some as a test on my daily driver, but it quickly burned
>off. I need a paint that is black gloss and is at least able to take
>1400 degrees. Anyone have any suggestions of where I could find some?

If you live in the San Francisco Bay Area you'r SOL (not to be confused
with Scions Of Lucas ^).  The high temperature paints
have been "banned" in this area because of the polluting
nature of their solvents and propellants.  It is still
available in some of the outlying and rural counties, however.
You might go to a hardware store and ask for "barbeque" paint,
although I doubt you'll be able to get it in "glossy."

Regards
bs