Re: chrome finishing pieces and boot

To: william sadler <wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu>,
Subject: Re: chrome finishing pieces and boot
From: sggy@crux1.cit.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1992 12:41:43 -0400
william sadler scribed:

> I was putting my softtop back on last night when I noticed that
> the chrome finishing piece actually goes inside the large triangular
> metal piece that connects the convertible hood to the car just behind the
> doors.  It can't go outside the hood attachments, since then the hood
> will not fold back.  What gives here?  Shouldn't a chrome piece go *outside*

Maybe not, due to it's origin.

> On my former MGB this attachment is what the hard top went into.

[AKA my current MGB :-)]

The complete picture:
On MKI MGB's the chrome bracket serves one of several purposes- You can
slide in the hardtop brackets, the tonneau bar tabs, or the stow-in-the-boot
soft top tabs. Pull one off, insert the other. On the later style (and
some earlier?) "permanantly" mounted tops, the top bracket screws into
the same mounting holes as the chrome plate. The chrome plate can
then still be used for the tonneau bar, or the hard top, I think. I can't
remember fer-sure whether mine went inside or outside, cuz I just yanked
off the soft top, and use the tonneau, and sometimes the hard top. I think
I may have a set of removable bows, but no canvas. Mayby one day...

   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett              (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | "The South Lansing Centre
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | (Lansing, NY)
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801  | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!