re: High Temperature paint

To: hhyyhh@mixcom.mixcom.com
Subject: re: High Temperature paint
From: whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 2 Jul 1992 10:48 EDT
I previously wrote:
Instead of porcelin or paint, I had the exhaust manifolds of the TR-8
"aluminized" about 7 years ago.  They still look great and that includes
round trip to Dallas (from NJ) in 1988, 106 degree temperatures, pouring
rainstorms, etc.  Several companies offer the service in Hemmings
Motor News.

To which Steve Schultz asks:
>Hmmm. I silver sheen to them, or a chrome like finish? How was this
>done? Cost?

The process actually imparts an aluminum (sprayed) coating to the
manifolds.  The manifolds are first sandblasted and then coated.
The instructions I received back with the manifolds suggested they
then be sprayed with VHT (very high temperature) aluminum paint.
That is to "seal" the coating because the aluminized coating is
apparently pourous.  The aluminized coating apparently does not get quite
as hot as the regular iron manifold so the vht paint has never lifted
or peeled.  The actual finish is not at all chrome like, it is a
finish that looks just like the spray painted finish of VHT paint
but with a slight sandy grain to it.  The coast to me in 1985
for both manifolds was $50.  I recently inquired about having a header
for a TR-3 done and the cost was estimated to be about $45 for the
single piece.

Have a safe, sane and top down 4th of July (brit-car email members
in the UK may choose to ignore the 4th of July reference :-)
Standard Disclaimer- Any opinions, etc. are mine and NOT my employer's.
Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!dancer!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com