Re: Dwell and points gap

To: spidell@hpcc01.corp.hp.com
Subject: Re: Dwell and points gap
From: whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 1 Jul 1992 12:57 EDT
>Now I'M cornfused.  I always thought the purpose of the ballast resistor
>was to limit current at normal running speeds, thereby saving the points.
>I thought the ballast resistor was bypassed during engine start (key in
>"START" position), allowing the full 12+ volts to be applied to the coil.

When starting, the ballast resistor is "bypassed," but the voltage
the coil sees is usually 9-11 volts becauseof the heavy current
draw on the battery by the starter.  So, removing of the ballast resistor
is done on starting to keep the voltage from dropping to (I guess here)
perhaps 6-7 volts when starting.