re: Engine swaps

To: @brit
Subject: re: Engine swaps
From: rghoff@bb1t.monsanto.com (Home for the Holidays, its your turn to take out the trash)
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 91 14:20:23 -0600
        I think the biggest pains aren't finding an engine that will
        fit in the engine compartment, but rather all the stuff that
        gets hooked up..... like where do you mount it? If you change
        the HP significantly, you better think about a tranny/clutch,
        maybe a different range differential, etc.

        But really, reading Hot Rod/ Popular Hot Rodding, it's just a
        matter of doing your home work first and devoting the time
        and money up front to make the swap a one shot deal.

        I've seen a GM 350 in a B and it looked like sh**. Probably
        handled the same. But then I've seen a Ford 302 (5L) that
        was shoehorned in this a factory option too. But that car
        supposedly did wheelies.

        For more LBC's what's a good HP range to shoot for? It probably
        grows geometrically in cost as you go for more power. That's
        if you want to have a quality package in the end.

        More power....Better upgrade the suspension. Significantly.
        Brakes too.

        An MGB with a stock short block could probably be tweeked up
        150 - 180 HP without a blower. But that would be full racing
        gear on. And not very streetable.

        This is certianly an interesting topic. Swap for more cubes,
        or work on better breathing.  In the spirit of LBC, I'd say
        work on breathing. Do they make a 4 valve/cylinder head for
        the 1.8L B series?

        Rick Hoffman.