engine swaps

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: engine swaps
From: Greg Meythaler <Greg_Meythaler@ccm.hf.intel.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 91 14:10:01 PST
          I don't have any direct engine swap experience with LBCs.
          But I have a couple of opinions to offer.

          Every GT6/Spit conversion I'm familiar with, (I've seen 3 or
          4) has been executed the same way. The spit body was moved
          over to the GT6 frame and the bonnet was retained from the
          GT6 (necessary for clearance of the carbs).

          I have a friend who removed the Triumph running gear from
          his TVR 2500M, and replaced it with the Buick 215.  Was
          really a nicely down job. But he spend MANY months of work
          to get it down, so the motor mounts were in a correct
          location and the hood would close with out cutting a hole in
          it and the drive line angle worked.

          He had to move only on frame support in the box frame ( a
          vertical member between the bottom and top horizontal
          members). He was able to remove a lot of weight from the
          front end. As a result the then had to redo the front
          suspension, getting new shorter springs to bring the
          front of the car back down to a reasonable ride height. But
          there are some post swap headaches that he now gets to deal
          with, like the headers are totally custom (in his case,
          hand-built, because he was unemployed at the time), custom
          radiator, and service headaches like having to remove the
          headers to do anything, even removing the starter requires
          this.  He also went right on back to handle the extra
          horsepower, replacing the transmission with a Borg-Warner,
          and the rear-end with a Corvette limited slip (he considered
          a Jag unit, but they were to expensive).  A lot of work,
          but man does that car move. I suppose it worked out to well
          for him though, now he is thinking about putting a 215 in
          his recently aquired TVR 3000S.

                                   greg_meythaler@ccm.hf.intel.com