Re: engine swaps

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: engine swaps
From: rgb@hal.com (Roger Bolick)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 91 08:30:23 CST
No one has mentioned re-sell or the value of the car after the mods
are done.  Over my years watching used car prices there seems to be
an inverse relationship between "modification cost" and resell value
(or even being able to sell it).  The hush you hear about swapping
engines is the result of only 1 in 100 being done correctly and
resulting in a "more" desirable car.  Likely 50/100 are never finished.
The usual result is a nice $3,000.00 car being converted for $$$ into junk...

Now if you want more performance, start with a better base, I'd start
by buying a TR6, a few minor mods and Miata's, etc. should be no problem.
That's if you're tied to the Triumph series, or buy a TR8.

Looking at the price of a V8 in the ads for $200.00 and thinking for
$500.00 I can do a decent installation is likely wrong.  If someone
knows of a "good" swap that they AND others WOULD BUY if it were for
sale, find out the ACTUAL dollars it cost...  There are a few "natural"
mods such as the TR7 -> TR8, but even here its likely cheaper to buy
a TR8...

Roger