Re: engine swap - opinions?

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: engine swap - opinions?
From: jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (James TenCate)
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 91 14:50:55 -0600
Thought I'd add my 2 cents.  I know a guy here in Austin who's putting
the Rover V8 into a GT6.  The Rover engine is really light (less than
some Toyota 4 cylinders!) so he thinks he shouldn't have too much trouble.
However, he's having LOTS of trouble.  I'll see if I can get him to
post something about that particular swap when he's done.  Anyway,
I've heard about the Rover V8 being put in LOTS of things (there's
a book out called The Rover V8 Engine by David Hardcastle) but
never in a Spit.

What surprises me is that more people don't put the Rover V8 into
old TR7's.  Seems perfect, right?  Well, I've seen only 4 TR7 conversions
in my life and ALL of them used the Buick 3.8 liter V6.  I've also looked
into doing it but prices of all the bits add up fast.  Besides, it's
getting really hard to find reasonable TR7 candidates for a swap.  Either
the cars are total trash or the owner wants $5K for it (no kidding).

I digress.  Has anyone out there seen a US TR7-V8 conversion with the
Rover V8?  Just curious...

jim
jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu