Re: engine swap - Buick/Rover V8

To: british-cars@hoosier (british-cars)
Subject: Re: engine swap - Buick/Rover V8
From: southern@neit.cgd.ucar.EDU (Lawrence Buja)
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 91 13:39:13 MDT
>How could you find out if a GT6 engine would fit in the Spitfire?

I suspect that merely asking the question here will be sufficient.
I'll defer to the experts on this one.

>Better yet, how about the Buick/Rover V8 from a TR8?  Is there some sort of
>source where you can get dimensions and weights of different engines?

Now you're talking.  The original Buick 215 engine weighed in at a
mere 324 lbs, and put out 155 gross hp and 220 ft/lb torque in the
two barrel, 8.8 : 1 compression ratio form, and 185 hp and 230
ft/lb torque in the four barrel, 10.25 : 1 compression ratio form.
This made a 2.1 lbs/hp ratio at a time when the next best was 3.5
lbs/hp [TR8 Car Club of America. Issue #3 - January 1984].  I can
send you my "More than you probably ever wanted to know about the
Buick/Rover 215" file if you want.  There's also a Haynes book by
David Hardcastle about the Rover V8.

Mike Jeffreys posted the following to the TR-8 list:
General power comparisons:-

Car                     CR (:1)                 HPower

Rover P5 V8             10.5                    184
Rover P6 V8             9.25(?)                 155(?)
Rover SD1               9.25                    155
TR8 (US)                8.5(?)                  135
Range Rover             8.5                     135
Rover SD1 Vitesse       9.75                    190

I hope that you're planning on installing a better set of brakes, too :-)

If you are serious about doing this, I would suggest calling:

   Ted Schumacher
   TS Enterprises       (800-543-6648 order line only)
   404 Basinger Road    (419-384-3022 technical info line)
   Pandora, Ohio  45877

He may have already done such a swap.

/\      Lawrence Buja           Climate and Global Dynamics Division
  \_][  southern@ncar.ucar.edu  National Center for Atmospheric Research
      \_________________________Boulder,_Colorado___80307-3000__________