Re: Rebushing, valves, master, etc.

To: rgb@hal.com (Roger Bolick)
Subject: Re: Rebushing, valves, master, etc.
From: "Christopher A. Kent" <kent@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1991 12:53:09 PST
        1.  Has anyone had rockers of the TR6 type re-bushed, $$?
            I was advised to buy a new set, but $150 - $200 seems
            high, seems $50/set for re-bushing would be right, TRF?

Since there aren't any bushings in TR6 rockers, I doubt you can get it
done for any price. You *might* be able to find a machine shop that
will ream and bush for you, but that will cost you several hours of
labor, at least. (Anyone know if the rocker shaft diameter of the Four
and Six are the same?)

        2.  Has anyone tried off-center rockers?

This is done for race engines, but usually in concert with a cam
change. The way that you adjust for the different ratio is to change
the pushrod length (see the Kastner Competition Preparation manuals).
To my knowledge, a different set of valves with a different length was
never offered; since this sort of change usually also involves a change
in cylinder head thickness and deck height, each installation is different.

        5.  Has anyone tried the speed-sleeve that I've seen mentioned, seems
            the stainless steel would be just the thing for clutch cylinder
            rebuild?

Speedi-sleeves are used to fix a lip seal around a rotating part, like
where the crankshaft passes through the timing cover. They aren't for
resleeving a cylindrical seal.