Re: Re: Rebushing, valves, master, etc.

To: rgb@hal.com
Subject: Re: Re: Rebushing, valves, master, etc.
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@hpcdcsn.cdc.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 91 11:43:14 pst
> A list of questions came to mind reading today's posts.
>

> 4.  So polishing is the answer to rebuilding clutch cylinder,
>     now you tell me... and I spent so much time honing those things..
>     again, again, again, bought new $$.

Well, if this worked for TeriAnn I supposed that's the ultimate test,
but when I rebuilt my hydraulics I did a bit of research on the subject
and this is contrary to what all the brake books say.  The purpose of
the cross-hatching is so that fluid adheres to the cylinder walls and
provide lubrication for the seal.  When a master cylinder is
manufactured, the bore is formed by pulling a "ball" of the correct
diameter through a pre-drilled or perhaps cast hole.  The cylinder is
heated to a temperature just below melting.  The result is a
microscopically textured surface to which fluid can adhere but which
appears to be smooth to the naked eye.  Perhaps TeriAnn was referring to
an aluminum cylinder.  This type requires a special, very fine hone.
Apparently they don't take too well to rebuilding no matter what
technique is used.  BTW, I've had good results using a hone on steel
cylinders on non Brit cars.  Since the ones on my snake were aluminum, I
replaced them with new ones.

Roland