Re: New gifs on hoosier.utah.edu

To: xgg2356@dcmdc.dla.mil
Subject: Re: New gifs on hoosier.utah.edu
From: archer@hsi86.hsi.com (Garry Archer)
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 91 13:24:14 -0500
jim fuerstenberg writes:
> I am somewhat of a novice to this E-mail stuff, is there any way I can
> access the variety of strange GIFs and bitmaps available from my remote
> location????

Use the File Transfer Program, ftp, to access the remote system:

ftp hoosier.utah.edu

If you succeed in accessing, at the name prompt enter "anonymous".
At the password prompt enter just about anything (I enter "Britcars" or
something like it) and if this succeeds you'll get the "ftp>" prompt.

At the prompt, enter "cd pub/sol", then enter "binary", since you'll be
transfering GIF files in binary format or compressed files (with .Z suffix)
in binary format.  If you enter "ls" at the ftp prompt you'll get a listing
of all the lovely files.  "mget" or "get" will retrieve multiple files
or one file, respectively.  They'll download into your current working
directory and some are quite large, so be sure you're on a filesystem that
has enough disk space.

For more ftp commands type "help" at the ftp prompt or "help command"
for any specific command.  You can also read the man page on your own
system too, "man ftp".

This is just a basic intro.  Others may want to add or make corrections
as necessary (but the above works for me).

        Good luck!

Garry Archer Esq.       {yale, uunet}!hsi!archer  -OR-  archer@hsi.com
3M Health Information Systems,  Wallingford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"An Englishman never enjoys himself, except for a noble purpose." - A.P.Herbert