Re: BRG Miata

To: Dick Nyquist <dickn@hpspdln.spd.hp.com>
Subject: Re: BRG Miata
From: sfisher@wsl.dec.com
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 91 12:02:58 PST
>| The BRG I've seen is extremely dark - is this correct?
>|
>there is no one exact color which is "the one and only B.R.G"
>but generally it's darker then middle and tend a little to
>earth tones. Sort of a Forest Green.

Every car company that had a color called British Racing
Green formulated their own exact color, but most of them
were fairly close through about 1972.  MG has used three
different colors that could be considered BRG, only one of
which was actually called British Racing Green.

My '71 MGB was originally painted MG's British Racing Green
at the factory.  The doorsills, engine bay, trunk, and other
non-exposed panels retain this paint.  At some time in its
life, it was repainted in the factory's current version of
British Racing Green, called (oddly enough) New Racing Green.
In MG's spectrum, NRG is lighter than BRG.  (Note that NRG
was introduced after the BL takeover, so Triumph cars made
in the later Seventies -- I don't have an exact date --
were probably painted using New Racing Green.)

The third BRG candidate is called Leaf Green, and it's
considerably lighter than either of the other two.  Andy's
(well, Linda's) '64 MGB has a coat of Leaf Green over
a coat of New Racing Green over an original coat of
British Racing Green -- a sort of Abingdonian Olduvai of
colors in the door dings.

When I got the latest AutoWeek with the BRG Miata on the
back, I laughed and tossed it onto the bonnet of my BRG
'71 MGB with tan interior.  The car and I appreciated it
almost as much as we appreciated driving past a Miata
being hooked onto a tow truck...