Re: BRG Miata

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: BRG Miata
From: archer@hsi86.hsi.com (Garry Archer)
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 91 10:22:55 -0500
From: s883351@minyos.xx.rmit.OZ.AU (John Taylor [The Banshee])
> Actually, it's not BRG but some other green (Neolithic???? or something
>sillier)
> green which is "inspired by BRG".  I haven't seen one yet, but the combination
> sounded revolting when I first read it in the paper - still sounds
>unpleasant..
> I wouldn't spend the extra $$ for a wooden gear-knob etc.
> I wonder how long it'll take for the Ford Capri (Mercury Capri in US) to bring
> out a green version...

John,
        Ford actually produced a limited edition BRG Ford Capri for UK
customers only when the car finished its production run (at least I believe
the Capri isn't made in Europe anymore) a few years ago.  Why only the UK,
you may ask?  The Capri was most popular in the UK and Ford "rewarded" the
home market.  I'm not sure if any of these models made it overseas via some
kind of grey market, but if they did, they must be regarded as collectable
I would assume. (As a side note: two of the first cars I owned were the
European version of the Ford Capri, a 1972 2000 Litre and a 1976 V6 3000 Litre
and I'm still a fan of them.)

> The BRG I've seen is extremely dark - is this correct?

Yes, John.  What most folks perceive as BRG is a misconception.  All the
folks on this list who think they have a BRG MG/Triumph, etc, are most
likely wrong.  All, if not most of the "BRG" MGB's I've ever seen are
actually some kind of forest green.  However, I'm still guilty of refering
to them as BRG in colour.  As I am in refering to the Mazda Miata as being
BRG... its actually some kind of dark or forest green, but not true BRG.
Its still a pretty colour though...

BRG is so dark, its almost black at first sight from a distance.  Some of
the nicest examples of BRG I've ever seen are on the Vicarage reconditioned
Jaguars from England (the E-Type and the 3.8L Mark II).  One should also
visit places like the Donnington Collection at Donnington Park (Castle
Donnington) in England (I was brought up very close to there).  They have
restored many of the old Grand Prix racing cars (its the largest collection
of open monocoque cars in the world) to their original condition and you
will see some of them in their original BRG livery.

To see a car, ANY car, in BRG (or pseudo BRG) pulls at the heartstrings
(especially, if like me, you're a true Brit).

        Cheers!
        - Garry