Re: Re: Re: Steering

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Steering
From: doddp@ecn.purdue.edu (Paul E Dodd)
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 91 09:26:00 -0500
More on the topic of separation of tierod ends and steering arms....

I had to replace the split rack boots on my MGA about a year ago, and I
ran into the same problem.  After much whapping and swearing, I gave up
and consulted a friend who used to do this sort of thing for a living
(yeah I know, hard to believe people get paid to do something so "fun")
His technique is thus:  get a mammoth pry bar so that you can apply
pressure to the joint- i.e. you stick it between the tierod end and
steering arm and haul down on it "firmly".  Whilst you're doing this you
whap on the eyelet of the steering arm perpendicular to the motion of
separation with a "large brass drift" (that's probably a knock-off
hammer to you and me) and voila, it pops right apart.  Actually it takes
a few more grunting noises and such, but you get the idea.  The crucial
thing here is that you apply the hammer perpendicular (i.e. horizontal
unless you have a wierd steering arrangement) to the axis of the tapered
shaft.  Let the phyicists explain it, all I know is it worked for me.

All in all, if I had the patience to wait for a tierod separator from
Whitney, tho, I'd probably get one as Jerry suggested.  Something
about large hammers and small, old cars that scares me. Especially
when they're on jack stands....

Paul Dodd
(doddp@en.ecn.purdue.edu)