Re: Steering

To: british-cars%encore.com@munnari.OZ.AU
Subject: Re: Steering
From: s883351@minyos.xx.rmit.OZ.AU (John Taylor [The Banshee])
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 91 09:23:49 +1100
>From what I remember when I did the Moke's steering boots, you undo the nut
holding the tie-rod "knuckles" to the hub assembly, and use a ball-joint
"cracker" to make the knuckle come down and away from the hub assembly.  (The
ball-joint cracker looks like a long handled tuning fork, the two points of
which are tapered.  You basically put the fork between the knuckle and hub
assembly and tap/bang it in which pulls the threaded "bolt" through.)  This
should leave you which the steering arm, with ball-joint/knuckle attached, free.

You then loosen the lock-nut on the steering arm, and unscrew the ball-joint.
Make sure you count the number of turns it takes to unscrew the ball-joint,
otherwise your wheel-alignment will be incorrect when you reassemble.  You may
like to/have to replace the ball-joints, as these invariably get damaged.  It
is then a simple job to fit the new steering boot, adding new lubricant (I'm
not sure what type or how much you need for an MGB), and then reassemble
everything in the reverse order.

Note: I'm doing this from memory, and there may be slight differences for the
MGB, but it should be basically correct.
MGB experts, please correct me if I'm wrong.

|   John Taylor  [The Banshee]         Victoria University of Technology     |
|  s883351@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au    (Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology) |
|   MOKING IS A HEALTH HAZARD.          Melbourne, Victoria, AUSTRALIA       |