Re: Re: Steering

To: british-cars%encore.com@munnari.OZ.AU
Subject: Re: Re: Steering
From: s883351@minyos.xx.rmit.OZ.AU (John Taylor [The Banshee])
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 91 08:25:23 +1100
>If you care about the car's handling, yes!  Do an alignment any time
>you change any suspension pieces.  Sure, if you count the turns as
>you unscrew the tierod, you'll get close.  If you have a boat which
>you never drive to its limits, and you use Sears Hi-Mileage Radials
>so tire wear isn't a big issue, then counting the turns is close
>enough.  If you want your car to handle like a sports car, you want
>something better than that.

Sure, this is a pretty crude method, but at least you get close.  If you don't
count the turns, you have no idea where the tie-rod end should be, and you
are likely to have some problems.

>It's not like aligning a car is a big deal.  It takes about 30 seconds
>to check alignment (if you have someone else to help you; more like
>10-15 minutes for a one-person job), and it's *much* easier than any
>other part of this job, and it makes a big difference on handling and
>tire wear, so why make excuses?  Just spent the minute or two and do it.

Really?  What is this easy method?  The only way we've tried is using
protractors to measure camber etc., and crude lengths of wood for checking
toe-in.  There has to be a better way than this...

|   John Taylor  [The Banshee]         Victoria University of Technology     |
|  s883351@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au    (Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology) |
|   MOKING IS A HEALTH HAZARD.          Melbourne, Victoria, AUSTRALIA       |