Re: Inspecting trannies and diffs: any hints? (fwd)

To: walker@hprpcd.rose.hp.com (Darrell Walker)
Subject: Re: Inspecting trannies and diffs: any hints? (fwd)
From: Dick Nyquist <dickn@hpspdln.spd.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 91 14:23:12 PST

| > Since my TR4A is mostly apart at this time (I'm pulling the body off
| > the frame this weekend or next), I felt it would be a good opportunity
| > to check out the transmission and differential.  All of the inspection
| > procedures in the manual involve major disassembly of the units.  Is
| > there anything I can do to check them out without completly taking
| > them apart?  I don't really suspect that anything is really wrong, but
| > the diff seems a little noisy (but its hard to know what is "normal").

On the gearbox you could replace the seals with out disassembly and by
just pulling the top you could check syncro ring clearance with a
feeler guage and visually inspect the gear teeth. On the diff you
could pull the rear cover and inspect the teeth.

I did see this note go by some time ago but didn't have time to respond

dickn