Downshifting

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Downshifting
From: Dale C. Cook <mit-eddie!pinocchio.encore.com!cook@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 90 10:58:44 EDT
I heard Click and Clack advise some yuppie puppie Porsche owner
to save his clutch and use those breaks.  Me, I think if you
like to drive, as opposed to using your car as an appliance,
you're more apt to downshift ALOT and minimize break usage.

I frankly drive a stick because I like the feeling of banging
down a gear and taking a nice (fast) line at that freeway exit.
And over my (long) driving career, I haven't had trouble with:
excessive clutch wear (my last Jetta retired with 147,000 miles
and the original clutch), gas mileage (if you drive a four --
especially the kind with all the 'puters to limit gas consumption
-- you've "already given") nor brakes.  I'm of the cars_are_
meant_to_be_driven school.

        - Dale "I now measure my age in Celsius; that's 10.5!"