Air Pump Question

To: sol@hoosier
Subject: Air Pump Question
From: Tim Buja <mit-eddie!CC.UTAH.EDU!ccm0b%PURCCVM.BITNET@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 1990 08:51 EST

     Anyone have any thoughts on how to disassemble an air pump on a
TR-8?  When I went to take the 8 out for a spin the other night, the
air pump belt started squealing as soon as I started the engine.  Lo
and behold, a seized-up air pump!  Since a new one costs $330 from TRF,
I thought that it might be worth my while to try and fix the one I've
got.  It's already broken--how much more damage can I do to it?
Seriously, I want to repair it as I want to keep the car stock and feel
that emissions equipment should be kept in working order.
     The status as of this writing--the pump is off of the car, with
the back plate removed.  There are two vanes that rotate in a
cylindrical housing around an off-center shaft attached to the back
plate.  The cylindrical housing is attached to the input shaft, but
I can't tell how, since there is a plastic "centrifugal filter" that
rotates with the shaft and pulley and blocks the view of how the
input shaft is connected.  I think that the plastic filter is pressed
on to the input shaft, and once it it removed the cylindrical housing
and input shaft can be removed through the back of the pump.  (Just
speculation, of course.)  The Repair Operations Manual only tells how
to get the pump off of the engine--no disassembly instructions are
provided.  The case must be rather fragile, as the words "DO NOT CLAMP
IN VISE" are prominently cast into it.
     I welcome any and all suggestions!
           Tim Buja                     Cherry Valley, IL