Re: Identify this car and win...

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Identify this car and win...
From: Roland Dudley <mit-eddie!dtc.hp.com!cobra@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 May 90 10:48:40 pdt
From: EDDIE.MIT.EDU!mit-eddie!vax.ftp.com!mason (Nark Mason)
Subject: Identify this car and win...

>A buncha rust!
>I was at the junkyard earlier today, way way back in the back of a huge
>lot, at the very back next to the bushes, was a car. Made by AMC. 2 seater.

>It looked 1960's.
>I'll go back sometime and get the engine #'s, I'm real curious what it is.

I think Roger Garnett correctly IDed this car as a Nash Metropolitan.
Someone once told me that it had an Austin A-40 engine in it but that
was about the only Austin most Americans were familiar with at the time.
Naturally it was assumed that there was only ONE Austin engine for all
Austin cars.

If anyone is interested in seeing what this car looked like, rent the
movie UHF at your local video store.  The "hero" of the film drives one.
It's a pretty awful flick, but if you're really curious...

BTW, all of the AMC AMXes I've ever seen had large displacement V8s in
them.  I believe the AMX was AMC response to the Ford Mustang and Chevy
Camaro.

Roger, as much as I would like to follow up on the TC, there's no way I
could ever get another car.  My wife would divorce me.  I was hoping to
generate some local interest.  On the other hand, I probably shouldn't
imposed on the current owner's privacy.  Still, it's such a shame for it
to just sit there.

Roland