Re: Spridget Transmission Oil

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Spridget Transmission Oil
From: mit-eddie!missing-presumed-deadhead.ftp.com!bill@EDDIE.MIT.EDU ( Bill Lampman )
Date: Thu 17 May 90 10:15:32
        I've run 90 wt. gear oil in my '74 midget's tranny
'forever'; well, since I put the 'new' one in. It has hasn't
had any problems, and since that gear shift gets REAL WARM
in the summer I suppose it provides better protection than a
thinner oil, but I could be wrong.

        I've driven it in the winter with the 90 wt. and it is
not fun at all. The oil gets so thick in the winter that shifting
is like trying to stir refrigerated molasses. If you don't drive
in the winter there shouldn't be a problem, if you do, I wouldn't
use 90 wt.

Bill

PS: I just finished undercoating the new floorpans; just waiting
        for the rugs to arrive so I can put the seats back in. It
        will soon go from a 'permanent fixture' in the garage to
        a rolling, running eyesore. Next comes the new paint.

Thu May 17 10:15:32 1990
Bill Lampman @ FTP Software     UUCP:           ...harvard!ftp!bill
                                INTERNET:       bill@ftp.com
...sometimes the songs that we hear are just songs of our own...