Re: brake fluid, shock fluid

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: brake fluid, shock fluid
From: mit-eddie!aberffraw.sw.stratus.com!caloccia@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Mon, 14 May 90 19:05:47 -0400
>       1- I saw mention of 'dreaded DOT 3' brake fluid. What kind should
>          be used and what is wrong with DOT 3.

>   Use only Castrol GT "LMA" brake fluid. Not only is this rated at DOT 4,

        True, and don't pay too much for it. My favorite truck stop
(I-90 & NY-22 in Cannan, NY) sells it for under $5/quart. My not-so-favorite
Land Rover rip-off places try to pass off 12 oz. cans for more than that.

>   but it is compatible with British rubber
>   seals in your hydraulic system.  Standard US-spec DOT 3
>   fluid will dissolve your brake and clutch seals in fairly
>   short order.

        Well, actually, isn't it that the standard brake fluid does not
_swell_ the natural rubber used in British seals, as lucas and girling
intended ?