How hot is hot?

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: How hot is hot?
From: mit-eddie!iris.ucdavis.edu!hill@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Rich Hill)
Date: Tue, 1 May 90 12:32:27 PDT
My '79 Spridget has an aftermarket temperature guage wwhich is nice in that
it is calibrated (rather than just Hot, Cold and Normal) but not nice because
I really don't know how hot is too hot for this car.  It seems to run at about
190 degrees most of the time but occasionally will go higher if the weather is
hot and dry.  Since summer is coming soon and it's probably going to be really
hot and dry here (Davis, CA), I'd like to know if I have to worry about this
thing running a little hot and if so how hot can I run it and still be OK?
I don't think the folks in Abingdon had temps of 100+ in mind when they built
this thing!

Thanks

Rich Hill
UC Davis