Re: brake fluid, shock fluid

To: alliant!Alliant.COM!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: brake fluid, shock fluid
From: sgi!abingdon.wpd.sgi.com!sfisher@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Scott Fisher)
Date: Wed, 2 May 90 09:39:32 PDT
        In a car with Girling or Lockheed brake components you should use
        the Girling brake fluid or silicon (Hope I don't start anouther long
        discussion on silicon)

Only in that I think we'd all prefer to have direct
control over our brakes, rather than having them
run by a microprocessor... :-)

(I've just heard "Silicone Valley" and "Silicone
Graphics" about 6.02 x 10^23 times too often to let
"silicon brake fluid" pass...  lately whenever anyone
says "Silicone Graphics" I say "No, that's Hugh
Hefner's company.")

        As for the shocks I assume these are the lever shocks.  You need
        to use Girling Shock Oil.  I have not been able to find any source
        of this oil for about 15 years nor have I been able to find the
        rebuild kits.

Moss was selling Girling shock fluid last time I looked
in their catalogue.  You can, in a pinch, use motorcycle
fork oil, too.  Hey, if it's good enough for Team FizzBall,
it's good enough for the street!

There is some variation in the viscosity of fork oil, as
well.  Higher viscosity makes for stiffer springing and
more fade resistance, which you want for performance or
racing.  Lower viscosity works at lower temperatures.
That's a level of subtlety that I am about to learn, due
to Team FizzBall's pair of MGBs and my future race car.
I'll report when I have more info...

        I have found many types of oil in the shocks on my
        collection but none of them work well for long except Girling
        shock Oil (same natural rubber seals).

Correct.  Motor oil (even Castrol GTX) will wreck the
seals in your lever shocks and make them leak like --
well, like a British car. :-)

        If anyone knows of a source for the shock oil I would love to know
        about it.

Try Moss or one of their dealers in your area.  I hear
that The Roadster Factory also supplies shock oil.  And
in a pinch, go to a motorcycle shop and ask for fork oil.

--Scott