Re: brake fluid, shock fluid

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: brake fluid, shock fluid
From: mit-eddie!ames.arc.nasa.gov!ssi!coventry!rmb@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Keptin Komrade Dr. Bobwrench III)
Date: Wed, 2 May 90 13:22:10 CDT
->In a car with Girling or Lockheed brake components you should use
->the Girling brake fluid or silicon (Hope I don't start anouther long
->discussion on silicon) as the rubber seals used in these systems are
->natural ie: not vulcanized and DOT 3 will rot the rubber in a matter
->of days making the brakes very unsafe.  If you have already added
->Dot 3 fluid to your system you will need to replace all of the rubber
->in your master and slave cylinders (a good oportunity to go to
->silicon if you choose.)  Any reputable forien car parts store should
->carry the Girling fluid in pint and gallon sizes.

        One again, this is not always the case. The later Girling brake
systems are capable of handling DOT3 fluids. In fact the 1972 TR-6 owners manual
I have calls for DOT3 fluid. After some research, it looks like they went to
DOT3 compatible rubber sometime in the late 60's, probably with the TR-250
in 1968.
        When in doubt, check the manual or use silicone, but if you own a later
car, don't be petrified to find DOT3 fluid in the system. I've had DOT3 in
for ~ 4 years now with no rebuilds.

        iii