Re: brake fluid, shock fluid

To: alliant!Alliant.COM!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: brake fluid, shock fluid
From: sgi!abingdon.wpd.sgi.com!sfisher@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Scott Fisher)
Date: Wed, 2 May 90 10:33:52 PDT

>>      1- I saw mention of 'dreaded DOT 3' brake fluid. What kind should
>>         be used and what is wrong with DOT 3.
>>
>> Use only Castrol GT "LMA" brake fluid.  Not only is this
>> rated at DOT 4, but it is compatible with British rubber
>> seals in your hydraulic system.  Standard US-spec DOT 3
>> fluid will dissolve your brake and clutch seals in fairly
>> short order.
>
>I think this is a misconception.

It isn't.

>I've tried soaking british seals in
>DOT 3 to see what happens, and its uninteresting.

For how long?  A couple of minutes?  It doens't work like
Fizzies, it takes a while to dissolve them.  But believe me,
when your brake master cylinder goes out because you used
Prestone (DOT 3, ethylene glycol) fluid and your foot goes
to the floor, it's a helluva lot more than "interesting."