Re: brake fluid, shock fluid

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: brake fluid, shock fluid
From: Kevin Spooner <mit-eddie!hpfcmws.fc.hp.com!britcars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 1 May 90 17:54:50 mdt
In a car with Girling or Lockheed brake components you should use
the Girling brake fluid or silicon (Hope I don't start anouther long
discussion on silicon) as the rubber seals used in these systems are
natural ie: not vulcanized and DOT 3 will rot the rubber in a matter
of days making the brakes very unsafe.  If you have already added
Dot 3 fluid to your system you will need to replace all of the rubber
in your master and slave cylinders (a good oportunity to go to
silicon if you choose.)  Any reputable forien car parts store should
carry the Girling fluid in pint and gallon sizes.

As for the shocks I assume these are the lever shocks.  You need
to use Girling Shock Oil.  I have not been able to find any source
of this oil for about 15 years nor have I been able to find the
rebuild kits.  I think that the big guys have cornered the market on
these items.  I have found many types of oil in the shocks on my
collection but none of them work well for long except Girling
shock Oil (same natural rubber seals).

If anyone knows of a source for the shock oil I would love to know
about it.

Kevin Spooner
The Sports Works Of Greeley
Specializing in TRIUMPHS and British Clasics