disc brakes on the rear

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: disc brakes on the rear
From: mit-eddie!iris.ucdavis.edu!sanders@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (John Sanders)
Date: Wed, 2 May 90 11:35:29 PDT

>          I have been toying with the idea of putting disk brakes
>        on the rear of my BGT.  Does anybody know of a kit or way
>        to do this?  I have a major brake rebuild coming up so I
>        figure this would be the time to do it.

 There are discs available from aftermarket/racing supply houses such as JFZ
and Tilton that can be ordered with bolt patterns that could used on the rear
of a MGB. I have found that it is not hard to make up a good mount for a better
caliper on the front end (in this case I used the thicker MGB V8 discs). The
rear bolts at the end of the axel tube offer good possibilities for mounting.
Since the rear doesn't require as much braking as the front, a single piston
caliper (easier to fit) can be used.

There are a couple of issues that have lead me to procrastinate on putting
discs on the rear (in addition to the usual time/money issue). First, since I
have wire wheels, I want to make sure the center hole of the disc will fit over
the splines. Second, disc brakes make a mess of the handbrake. The calipers
that I wanted to use (JFZ) did not have provision for a handbrake. There are
many calipers from production cars that could be used but I'm not sure that the
B will put up with having a part made by Toyota or BMW.

I hope to do more work on this over the summer. I would also like to hear from
people who know where high performance brake shoes are available. MGB brakes,
while not bad to begin with, can be improved quite a bit.

John