re: British Car Fluids

To: "bellcore!EDDIE.MIT.EDU!alliant!british-cars"@bellcore.bellcore.com
Subject: re: British Car Fluids
From: mit-eddie!bellcore.bellcore.com!taichi!whs70@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: 2 May 1990 13:50 EDT

>Cooling System
>       50-50 mix of water and Anti-Freeze is best for *most* applications.
>               This offers the best Anti-Corrision, Anti-Freeze, and Cooling
>               capibilities.
>               If you have an Aluminium head or block, you may need an
>               anti-freeeze speced for use with Al.

Per Roger Garnett's excellent posting, if you have aluminum
head/block, etc. don't even risk not using anti-freeze that
is speced as safe for Aluminum engines.  Although not a
definitive report, much of the cooling system clogging that
occurred with the TR-8 seems to have been related to the
NOT-safe for aluminum engine anti-freeze that was prevalent
in the early 80s.  Now, I believe, most anti-freeze is so
marked, but better to be safe than sorry.

Distilled water - As Roger listed, certainly it should be used
for the battery, but given the low cost, I always use it to
fill the radiator also.  While water can be safe to drink, it
may have minerals and other stuff in it that over the long
term can be harmful.  This is especially true if your home
is served by its own well.  NOTICE - With the current hype
for spring water by the bottle, be sure you are buying
distilled water NOT spring water.  My local supermarket
usually has the DISTILLED water in the housewear section
(it's recommended for steam irons) while the spring water is
usually in the beverage section.

Bill Sohl