Re: How hot is hot?

To: alliant!Alliant.COM!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: How hot is hot?
From: sgi!abingdon.wpd.sgi.com!sfisher@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Scott Fisher)
Date: Tue, 1 May 90 16:04:42 PDT
>Funny thing I have noticed over the years is that while anti-
>freze supposedly raises the boiling point, it also lowers the specific heat
>(or is it lowers the conductivity).  The effect is that while your boilover
>protection is higher if you have a good coolant mixture, your engine will
>actually run hotter because it is carrying heat away from the engine slightly
>more slowly.  I wonder if anyone else has ever noticed that?

Yup, though it's usually more empirical, as in the
advice the Healey Store used to give out.  We put it
in a newsletter column at least once, though it was
more simply put.

For the record: A 50-50 blend of antifreeze and water
provides the optimum efficiency for most modern cooling
systems (since this is british-cars and not info-vw,
I won't add comments about liquid-cooled vehicles only :-).
If you run more than 50% coolant, your engine will run
hotter, though the boiling point will be higher.  A 50-50
blend gives the best compromise between a raised boiling
point and cooler temperatures, so if your car is running
hot, make sure you have a 50-50 blend in the system.