Re: How hot is hot?

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: How hot is hot?
From: mit-eddie!bevsun.bev.lbl.gov!guy@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Aran Guy)
Date: Wed, 2 May 90 00:53:41 PDT
 My '79 spit has the same engine; it came stock with a 190 degree F.
thermostat. The fan comes on at about 200.
 The fan runs almost continually when outside temp runs above 100. This
is ok; the engines have a pressurised cooling system, and the 50/50
coolant mix won't boil until somewhere around 240. Note that performance
is not seriously affected by a retarded ignition advance, but engine temp
is. If you seem to be running hot, check for correct coolant mix, retarded
ignition advance, EGR valve stuck open, Faulty fan temp sensor, incorrect
thermostat, no oil in carb piston damper, or incorrect radiator cap (14lbs
release).
 When all these happen, be prepared for some roadside misery. (Guess how I
know this.....)
 Aran Guy  guy@bevsun.bev.lbl.gov
 (This list is getting almost too popular; 39 postings since yesterday!)