2L SAAB turbo -> TR-7

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: 2L SAAB turbo -> TR-7
From: richard welty <mit-eddie!lewis.crd.ge.com!welty@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 1 May 90 14:55 EDT
    From: Tim Buja <ccm0b@purccvm.bitnet>

        The engine used by SAAB in the early 99 models was made for them by
     Triumph.  The engine used in the TR-7 was very similar to the engine
     supplied to SAAB, as well as the SAAB-built engine used in later 99
     and early 900 models.  Will a SAAB 99 (or early 900) Turbo engine work
     in a TR-7?

it seems unlikely; saab did quite a bit of redesign when they
went from the 1.85L Triumph engine to the 2.0L B-engine (and
even more was done for the transition to the 2.0L H-engine.)
in the saab application, the engine depends on the top of the
transmission casing to serve as an oil pan, and i'll wager that
the oil pan from the triumph applications won't fit; saab revised
the transmission casing going from the 1.85L to the 2.0L as well.
moreover, one of the engine mounts for the saab engine is actually
on the transmission, not the engine.

the 2.0L engine is also a bit larger than the 1.85L engine, and
saab would have designed to the constraints of a 99 engine compartment,
not a TR-7 engine compartment.

        Later 900 Turbo engines will not fit because SAAB removed the
     jackshaft driving the water pump and distributor and replaced it with
     a belt-driven water pump and a distributor driven off the flywheel
     end of the camshaft.

and with good reason; there is a common mistake associated with
water pump replacement on the B-type saab engine which damages the
jackshaft and forces you to pull the engine for repairs.  ugh.

        This is all speculation as I have a TR-8 and a later 900 and I'm
     not sure how the TR-7 engine compartment differs.  To continue, would
     this conversion fit? I'm not proposing that anyone try it--I'm only
     posting the question to get some discussion started.

i have a saab b-block sitting on my garage floor; i'll measure it if
someone else volunteers to measure a TR-7 engine compartment.

richard