Re: How hot is hot?

To: mit-eddie!iris.ucdavis.edu!hill@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: How hot is hot?
From: muller@Alliant.COM (Jim Muller)
Date: Tue, 1 May 90 16:45:37 EDT
What sort of thermostat is in your midget?  Chances are that it is 180 or
so, and that anything below 200 is probably okay, especially since there
may be a slight temp difference between the sender and the other parts of
the colling system.  That car has the electric fan, no?  If so, check whether
the fan is coming on.  Chances are that it comes on about 195.  Even so, as
long as it stays put below 200, you aren't boiling over, even with no anti-
freeze etc.  Funny thing I have noticed over the years is that while anti-
freze supposedly raises the boiling point, it also lowers the specific heat
(or is it lowers the conductivity).  The effect is that while your boilover
protection is higher if you have a good coolant mixture, your engine will
actually run hotter because it is carrying heat away from the engine slightly
more slowly.  I wonder if anyone else has ever noticed that?

Jim