Fw: Water pump bolts

To: "Bricklin" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Water pump bolts
From: "Greg Monfort" <wingracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 03:10:33 -0500

> I remember somebody telling about a similar situation (I think it was
> John in one of my Brickline Mags).
>
> anyway, he and a friend were working on a motorcycle and had to
> disassemble the engine.  the bolts were rusted and they wound up rounding
> the heads while trying to remove them.  The friend took a socket that was
> about the size of the bolt(probably a bit smaller), and put it up on the
> head of the bolt.  It was too small, and it was part of his plan.  The
> guy took a very large hammer and struck the socket with enough force to
> make the bolt  think it was hex again.  The author said it would be best
> to use higher quality sockets for this, such as Craftsman.  They come
> with a good warranty too from what I hear.
=======
Since cycle motors are mostly aluminum and / or magnesium alloy, he's lucky
he didn't shatter something. At the very least, he probably damaged the bore
threads. In this case, the bolts would be corroded from electrolytic
conversion
of dissimilar metals, not rust.

Yes, Sears will replace them no matter how they're used / abused.
=======

> There are two things that can happen which cause a bolt to get stuck.
>
> 1: RUST - I learned a little about rust yesterday while at a friend's
> house.  I was in the spa, and noticed the railings were made of stainless
> steel.  There wasn't any rust on the rails below the surface of the
> water, but just above the surface you can see rust.  This told me that
> stainless steel, or at least certain types, do rust.
=======
Yes, the lower grades will rust.
=======
  I also learned that
> rust involves a third ingredient - air.  Water coming into contact with
> steel should not normally cause rust to start forming until the wet
> surface makes contact with air.  once this happens, the chemical reaction
> we call rust takes place.
=======
Rust forms underwater also, it just takes longer due to the lower oxygen
content.
=======
<snip>
 It turns out somebody had put stainless steel
> bolts on there.  The aluminum intake manifold and the stainless steel
> bolts had welded themselves together by means of the chemical process
> known as seizure.
=======
Are you sure they were stainless? I've never seen any support electrolytic
corrosion, and I've installed numerous aluminum parts with them. The other
reason it makes me wonder, is how hard it is to drill. I've broken my share
of bits just drilling S.S. sheet.
=======
<snip>
 If you
> are replacing a bolt or a screw and is not the same type of metal as the
> part with the threads, or you're not sure, you need to buy a thing called
> "anti-seize compound".  This will prevent the chemical reaction from
> taking place.
=======
Yep.

GM