Re: Water pump bolts

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Water pump bolts
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 20:07:43 -0500
At 10:54 PM 3/21/99 EST, Scott Isensee wrote:

>I started to replace the water pump on my Bricklin today. The bolts are rusty
>and I rounded the heads on three of them. Anyone have a good suggestion for
>getting them out? I have tried drilling and using bolt extractors in the
past,
>but have never had good luck with them. I think I once saw some special
>sockets which bite into the head of the bolt, but I can't remember where I
saw
>them. Anyone know of a source?

Scott,

   First off, if you don't have any, try to find some PB Blaster, similar
to most of the "loose juices" but better.  As to the sockets there are
2 different ones that I know of.  Sears is selling the "Metrinch"  wrenches
and sockets.  They grib both SAE and Metrics.  Also Eastwood sells some
special sockets for that.

   Finally, when you go at them, if nothing else, try to use a 6point socket
vise a regular socket.  A lot less chance of stripping the heads.  You might
also want to use an impact wrench.  The hammer effect will help break
the bolts lose.

   One other thing Scott, there are several different lenght bolts.  I have
a sketch around here from when I did mine.  You'll go nuts trying to get
the correct bolt into the right hole.  I'll try and find it and email it
to you.

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V

www.team.net/www/morgan        bricklin.shel.olsy-na.com/bi