Re: Water pump bolts

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Water pump bolts
From: Tim Lucas <macgyver@UDel.Edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 20:09:01 -0500 (EST)
There's a trick I learned from my father that seems to work quite well.
After heating or using penetrating oil, tap on the head of the bolt with a
hammer.  Use a regular hammer, as opposed to a rubber/wood mallet, because
you want the physical shock to break the "bond" the rust has made.
Some tips for heating/penetrating oil - If you use heat like a propane
torch, be careful not to let the flame come near the head of the bolt. You
want the threads to expand out, away from the bolt. If you heat the bolt
too, they both will expand together, and it won't help any.
As for penetrating oil, my pop has this stuff called Kroil -sp? It works
great.
        The combination of Kroil, a hammer, and patience has always meant
good luck for us.
I hope this helps.

        --  Timothy C. Lucas  --

            macgyver@udel.edu