RE: San Jose Grand Prix wrap-up

To: Carl Merritt <cmerritt@luminous.com>,
Subject: RE: San Jose Grand Prix wrap-up
From: 4D Sport <barry.chafin@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 17:40:52 -0700 (PDT)
Heard it from the horses mouth, no "blue lock", no access to "No-Man's Land",
even for City Fire Fighters and City Police unless an apparent escalation was
underway.  The example of an escalation given was if you could see the Fire
fighter's Truck in the vicinity.  The issue for race management was risk and
insurance.  If the individual had a blue lock they had signed a liability
wavier and the risk had been accepted.  These Police Men were in a risky area
and had not, apparently, signed a liability waiver and there was no escalation
in progress, according to their own words.  They escaped with no pursuit and
license numbers were not captured.  We learn from our mistakes and look forward
to the next opportunity.  I hope to work the position again in '06, God willing.

Thanks again,

Barry

Carl Merritt <cmerritt@luminous.com> wrote:
> I think a police officer of the City of San Jose can be any
> place he wants to be in the City of San Jose.

Very specific instructions from Bryan to us pass-checkers from on high
at race management was no officers unless they were properly tagged or
responding to a security issue they were called to.

-c