Re: New Solo 2 Officers for 2005 and change to Street Tire

To: ba-autox@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: New Solo 2 Officers for 2005 and change to Street Tire
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 03:59:17 EST
Jerry writes:

<<When the STi decision was made, where were those STi
folks?  Guess they didn't care enough to do the work, huh?

If you take Barry as not relevant, then most of the complaints
on this list have to be thrown out too, since (except for Matt)
none of them fit that STi competitor mold.  Heck, Barry won the
class in 2004!  >>
The point regarding Barry is that he is selling his STi car and running the
ST2 Miata.  He has no stake in the 2005 configuration of STi.  If you had told
the CURRENT STi competitors that this was coming up for a vote, I bet they
would've showed up.  But, of course we complicate things by not letting them
vote
until their 3rd meeting.

>   Discouraging them by disbanding their class is counterproductive.

<<It could very well encourage them, as I have seen that several of the
STi people could have fared very well even with street tires in their
open class.  Maybe they will be able to see the opportunity
for open class competition, and that can lead directly to a Nationals
ambition.  Street Tire leads the other way, doesn't it? >>
You really think that they want to go run against competitors on R tires?  If
you beat the guy on R tires on your 140+ tires, he's not very good, is he?  I
guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the rest of it.  I don't think
forcing people who are happy running in their Regional class to go buy R tires,
or
run in some rinky dink watered down version of their former class is a good
move.
<< Matt for example will get to compete in the exact same class
as before, except with a much smaller group.  He will also be
running with other cars in his class, and may find he can compete
there very well.  If people want a much larger PAXed class, they have
that already with the overall indexed order of finish. >>
Wow, is that convoluted thinking!  It's exactly the same, except that he
won't get to compete against 80% of the people he used to.  Oh, and he can just
compare his times to people that ran at other times of the day.  It's NOT the
same thing.

<< You're basically saying "don't change a thing, as it could discourage
the competitors in the changed class"  Which may be true, or the
exact opposite could be true.  You are saying if a group of people
does not participate in the SC, then they should get their way, since
the SC can only change the classes in which they particiate...?
Sorry, won't work.  >>
A small number of people wanted PAX class, and we formed one.  A small number
of people who didn't even run with us wanted BSP-V, and we created it.  A
much larger group with an existing class get it disbanded with no warning, and
you say that they should just live with it because they're not on the SC?

<<  One true thing is that change is inevitable, and so you'd better be
participating in it, or else you may be surprised.  >>

Wow, the whole thing sounds a lot like "We're from the government and we're
here to help" to me.

Charlie