Re: Adrenalin addict needs help

To: Richard Urschel <osp13@mybluelight.com>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Adrenalin addict needs help
From: Donald R McKenna <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 10:48:23 -0800
Rich,

> From: "Richard Urschel" <osp13@mybluelight.com>

> Having only run 15 autocrosses this year for various reasons I find my self
> suffering from withdrawal for the first time in about five years. Combined
> with cabin fever, it's influencing me to talk myself into throwing the crap
> sumi's on the black elan and going out into the rain.
> "Elan's are evil in the rain."
> "I'm good in the rain."

I don't think you have this quite right, the missing last line is:

RAIN IS THE EVIL.

Now, not everyone has this point of view. My rain "bias" stems from having
been going 65 through a sweeping freeway turn into a surprise downpour about
40 years ago --- ON SLICKS. No harm but, I'll NEVER forget the feeling of no
control as the 18-wheeler, I'd just passed, was bearing down on me as I
tried to both get slowed down and get some steering back. My wife doesn't
understand, she thinks my, now almost lifetime, aversion to rain is
unreasonable.

BTW, I'm with you, "I'm (also) good in the rain", just slow. At the Sac
Chapter rainy enduro practice I got my best (or least worst) time with the
ASR engaged. Now that's a testimony to my (lack of) rain-driving prowess.

> I have a nagging feeling that I am overlooking something obvious that will
> convince me not to do this. Anyone out there thinking clearly enough to know
> what it is?

OTOH, having driven your "main" (Cold Springs) road a few times, there arn't
too many (hard) things to hit if you go off the road. And as you know
"dented" fiberglass can, sometimes, come through with only a crazed look.
Just joking of course.

Wait, I think I have a solution, the Sun is comming this weekend.

My main, this-time-of-year, concern is finding that sunny,
not-freezing-ass-cold and windy day(s) to roll the car out of the garage so
I can get some "work" done on it. Trust me, light "work", it's a stocker,
you know.

Looking forward to Lockheed Dues-drop-in and Boondoggle in a few weeks!

        Don

P.S. OBTW, how'd you get so many autocrosses under your belt, this early in
the year? gotcha! I know, I know, that's really smart-assed.