Re: SFR Solo2 Annual Tech begins

To: "Dennis Hale" <dhale_510@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: SFR Solo2 Annual Tech begins
From: "Jerry Mouton" <jerry@moutons.org>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 10:48:31 -0800
Well, Dennis,

Answers to all your questions are on the
web page.

The rule book is still not required, only if
you want to get into this program.

Yes, it saves tech inspectors times at every
event by reducing the number of cars to inspect.
And the tech lines should not grow as much.
But the program is really about increasing
participant awareness of car safety.

No, the 12 inspections are our chance to educate
you about safety issues with cars, and what needs
to be checked to verify the safety of a car.
Once you go through 12 logged ones, you are
in the program, and can be trusted to tech your
own car at every event, which is what this is
all about.  Assuming the program lasts beyond
one year.

Basically it trains you to be your own tech inspector.
The annual tech inspection is done to the standard
of a Divisional or National Tour tech, which is
more detailed than the regular event techs.  This
really should not be the case, but it has always been
so as long as I have been autocrossing, and this
insures that each car gets one very thorough inspection
for the year.  In addition, this gives the inspectors a chance
to educate the drivers about their responsibilities in
the program, at the very least making them competent
tech inspectors themselves.  This would include
when they need to present themselves or their cars
or helmets for reinspection...

The SCCA rule says

"The Annual Tech should be honored for all SCCA
sanctioned Solo II events."

That is "should be", and I for one won't count on the
tech at your region to have read that part of the rules,
since after all they are from FasTrack, not the 2002
Rulebook.

No stack of rulebooks is necessary, just the most recent one.
No need to get ANOTHER rulebook, just the one you'd
normally want to have.  And it's not inaccessible, you can go
to http://www.scca.org/news/index.html#comp_regs and
print a form, lick a stamp, and you get a book in the mail,
for $15.00.  Or just buy one when you register for an SFR
autocross... they are available at the table.  There's no need
for the cost of a racer-style logboook, because any damage
to the car would most likely not occur at an event, and so
there's nothing to log.

No ads in the inside back cover of the 2002 rulebook.  If there
are ads in the 2003 book, and the program continues, we'll
insure that the driver reads it aloud to us before we cover it
up, thus guaranteeing the advertiser careful study by the
important focus group of experienced autocrossers -- they
will have it forever emblazoned internally in their minds.
I don't think the advertisers  will complain.

Roadrace tech is a completely different animal from
solo2 tech, isn't it?  It seems to be completely inappropriate
for Solo2, but maybe I'm wrong?  The solo2 safety equipment is
pretty much limited to helmets, and only Snell certification
is checked now, perhaps if an inspector notices a big
bash they might question the driver further.  Is there other
safety equipment that needs to be checked?  I don't think of any.

This is not about another SCCA bureaucratic structure added to
autocross, it's about training our drivers about safe vehicles,
and geting them to be responsible for ensuring their own
car's safety.  If I drive a car day after day, I'm going to
be a lot more aware of potential problems with it then the
novice who volunteered to be a tech inspector on any
given day.

The problem is insufficient driver attention to car safety, and
the solution is to teach them more and make them aware of their
own responsibility for the safety of their vehicle.

Of course, the existing quick-check tech inspection done at
autocrosses is adequate for the purpose, and if the annual
tech does not appeal, by all means do not participate.  Go ahead
and feel superior about, too, it if it helps your psychological
well-being ; -)

Jerry

Jerry Mouton        mailto:jerry@moutons.org    Laissez les bons temps rouler!