RE: Read ONLY if you have a "True Street" autocross car!

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Read ONLY if you have a "True Street" autocross car!
From: Navid Kahangi <navid@interwoven.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 11:38:18 -0800
James,

I applaud you for thinking out of the box.  The idea has merit, but I'm
afraid it has some significant flaws:

Any rule that cannot be enforced is not worth the paper it's written on (or
the html tag that surrounds it :)).  Examples:

"Car driven to the event".  What about towing to the near parking lot and
driving to the event?
"Driver can't change cars in wet weather"  Changes cars?  From last event?
>From the car you drove in with?  Can you leave and come back with a
different car?...
"Between each event (or at least once a week) car must be used for at least
one of the below:
a. Commute to work
b. Grocery shopping trip, or similar (drive through fast food?, etc)
c. 100+ mile drive "
Who is going to enforce this?  Are you going to follow me home or meet me at
McDonnalds drive through for my weekly check?
"Car competes on DOT tires used to drive to event (if you change tires for
an event, there will be a penalty adjustment added to your time of 1%) (DOT
means DOT-R also- no slicks)"  Are we talking spec Kumho series here?  Never
mind, I guess you can always tow a car with Hoosiers to a nearby lot :).

If you want a "True Street" class, all you need is 2 simple rules:

1) Registration & Insurance.
2) More than 12,000 miles on your odometer from the beginning of the season
to the end.

Both can be inforced.

--Navid