RE: Duel at DeAnza?

To: "Dennis Hale" <dhale_510@yahoo.com>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Duel at DeAnza?
From: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 10:43:44 -0800
Dennis,

Part of me wants to just dismiss your last post as evidence that you are GOING
MAD, but  you've got some half truths in there, none of which matter all that
much to me personally, but you never know, that's how rumors get started. You
never know who's reading this list who might take you seriously.

>Sure, then again, you gotta pay an extra $50 about 6
>weeks in advance, wait for some officious paper,
>remember to have it with you, yadda, yadda, yah. Oh
>that was never seen as a limiting device?

It's not a limiting device. We're going to have well over 300 entrants at the
Boondoggle. The extra $60 (I think) is the annual SCCA membership fee.
Requiring that the card be in hand was not my idea, but one benefit is that we
know that the people attending our events REALLY want to be there. With events
deep in the heart of the Bay Area, prior to this rule our experience has been
that folks show up, make their runs, leave without working, making the
autocross less enjoyable for those who run our events honestly. If our events
were farther from the Bay Area, most likely required membership would not be
necessary. Crowds would be more managable. This membership requirement, though
extreme, is the lesser of two evils, but that's my opinion. It was never
intended to be a mean spirited rule, just merely a last ditch attempt to keep
our events under control, before we DO have to limit entries, which I hope
never has to happen. Again, that's me. In no way do I represent the SFR Steering
Committee and its voting tendancies.

Other perks include monthly issues of the (no longer) award-winning "the
Wheel", "SportsCar" magazine where you can read about all other facets of
motorsports within SCCA, the opportunity to enter really fun National Tour and
ProSolo events, plus you'll be fully insured.

>Oh yeah, Monterey is three hours from Pleasanton. On
>one of Mr Gore's Chinese commuter bicycles.
>Gonggggg.

I don't even live in Pleasanton. Why all the references to Pleasanton?

>And of course those inhabited porta potties at
>Candlestick are the epitome of civilization.

Not only that, sometimes a few members of civilization LIVE in the porta
potties.

Didn't NASA run for awhile at Candlestick, too?

>Do you have permission to extend this invitation?
>Remember I personally destroyed the GGF facility with
>my 500db 1800cc motor about a hundred years ago. Or
>something like that. The actual numbers were never
>given. Or was it the color was too loud? It never was
>very clear to me.

Of course I have permission. I am the BOONDOGGLE BOSS! You'll have to be a
member, yes, but if you are, please, please, come to the Boondoggle.

When you were, ahem, "kicked out" of SFR, are you sure it was due to the db
reading of your car? :)

Anyway, glad to know you don't carry any grudges. That's the important thing.

No, but seriously. We live in an area where we are fortunate enough to have a
several autocross sites, and different clubs representing different goals and
wants of different people. Why, why, WHY do we have to bash those who do things
differently? I've always enjoyed NASA events, the Duel at DeAnza, and tons of
events put on by different clubs with different rules. NASA autocross schools
have always been the best organized, in my opinon. I've ALWAYS really liked
NASA autox courses. I think what you and Peggy do down in Marina is GREAT. If I
had a friend who never autocrossed before, I would tell her to run a NASA event
first. They are fun, low key, and the people are always really friendly and
helpful. Oddly enough, this friend decided to just join SCCA without even
having autocrossed before! She'll be at the Boondoggle, her first event!

So, obviously, required membership is not a deterrent. Not to those who REALLY
want to do it.

Dennis, I tease you, but you know it's because I've known you before you were,
ahem, "thrown out." Hope to see you and Peggy at the Boondoggle!

Katie