Re: Informal Poll on "sort of" pre-reg. for autox !

To: Randy Noll <rnoll98@yahoo.com>, craig boyle <craig_autox@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Informal Poll on "sort of" pre-reg. for autox !
From: Jim Ochi <jim_ochi@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 13:33:09 -0800
Some thoughts/comments below...

At 12:00 PM 10/31/2001 -0800, Randy Noll wrote:

>Online registration (name, address, class, work assignment preference
>1,2,3, etc.) w/Paypal that feeds a database.

Since we're members-only, if we can get the membership database from the
region, we should be able to get a bunch of this info off a membership
number.  Naturally, we'll need to prompt for whatever information Paypal or
a credit card clearing house needs, but it shouldn't be too hard.  Also,
it's another incentive to sign up for membership early, instead of calling
Denver at the very last minute and asking them to fax a confirmation...

>Tech: do the annual sticker deal with separate tech for first timers
>from 8-1 or by request, or if this violates SCCA rules then just close
>the grid early and tech all cars on grid, no extra workers needed.

We still need a refund mechanism for anyone who fails tech, and a way to
identify those who have not been teched.  Currently, it's pretty much all
based on the time card - if the tech hasn't been signed off, the card
sorter/collector should get it straightened out.  If the car fails tech,
the person can keep the card and bring it back for the next event.  If we
go to the computerized, card-less system, we need to tie an entry in the
database to the actual car on site...

>Waivers at gate, nobody enters site w/out one, no extra workers needed.

Yes, you'll need extra workers.  Currently it's on the reg table.  If we
separate out the waivers, you'll need more people to work the waiver
table.  Also, I'd be very concerned about the safety of the people at this
position.  The sites we use (Oakland, 3com, GGF, Stockton) are not as
isolated as Mather, Marina, or Castle - we tend to get more people
wandering through the site, and the sites themselves are not in the best
neighborhoods.  If we did want to restrict access to the site, we should
look into at least getting a rent-a-cop to either do the waiver, or hang
out with the waiver table.

>Sunday morning: Pre-registers already in database. New registers fill
>out card and give back to reg table. Extra person at reg table to enter
>into computer #1 which is linked to computer #2. Don't anyone freak out
>yet, this extra person will save others tons of time.

Shouldn't be too bad if we get a copy of the membership database.  Key in
your member number, and the only thing that really needs to be entered is
car/class info.  However, I think you're underestimating the amount of time
it's going to take to enter in all the info.  I remember earlier this year,
at a Cal Poly/NASA event - they did the "fill out the card, then come back
to be entered into the computer" thing.  Registration took way longer than
any other autocross I've attended.  And that was a lower turnout than an
SFR event.

>Reg for one run
>group will close when the prior group starts, allowing time for data
>entry.

I think this will be a little difficult to enforce.  What do you do for the
first run group - cut off registration an hour early?  Also, if the main
bottleneck is newbies, who don't usually know where their car is classed
and what run group they're in, how do you handle them?

>Use whatever software they use at Nats/Tours to run the event -- not
>sure of cost here. Is this a proprietary program or did they buy it?

Last time I looked, there were several timing/scoring programs
available.  Unfortunately, I must have killed the brain cells that knew
their names.  The only one I can remember is AutoX/TS...I think there's a
demo of it available somewhere on the web.

>Here's the kicker, with the software you can get instantaneous results,
>including PAX times, printed immediately after the run group (shoot at
>nats they were posting times between runs--but that's not necessary).

The coolest thing that I saw with the software was the "Announcer's
Screen".  As people ran, it would give info on who was leading the class,
how far behind the leader they are, what their best time was, etc.  Very cool!

>Is something close to this even remotely possible?

This stuff is totally possible - there are a number of regions that are
computerizing.

One thing that worries me a little.  All of these "computer operator"
positions are going to take a little specialized training.  We're going to
have to make sure that they are always adequately staffed with trained
personnel, since they're key to the operation of the event.  Registration
is not as much of a worry, since we have dedicated personnel (Don and his
crew) allocated to that.  The trailer is more of an issue.  We've already
run into problems with poorly trained trailer workers, even though the jobs
are fairly easy to learn.  We have problems with people not being able to
reset the timers after a dnf or false reading, even though there are only 5
buttons to learn and push.  What will happen when we put a computer in there?

Jim