RE: Classes and course speeds

To: "Scot Zediker" <roadsterboy@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: Classes and course speeds
From: "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 16:39:12 -0700
According to the info I have ('94 through '98), that is correct. The details
are somewhat interesting.

Mazda kept the same gear ratios in the 5-speed tranny from '94 to '98 (and
maybe later but my data stops at '98 and I'm too lazy to check the other
years). In '98 they "shortened" the diff ratio from 4.1 to 4.3, but they also
increased the wheel size by an amount that happens to be the same percentage
(coincidence??), so the differential change is negated by the increase in
wheel size and the overall speeds in gears should be exactly the same for all
of these cars, and none of them can hit true 60 mph in 2nd gear. They should
hit redline (7,000 RPM) in 2nd gear at a true speed of approximately 56-57
mph.

This probably looks like 60 on the speedo. Most of the speedometers I've had
in my cars both past and present read 2-5 mph higher than actual speed.