Re: Classes and course speeds

To: "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com>
Subject: Re: Classes and course speeds
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@idsfa.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 23:35:58 -0700
According to the specs for the AVS Intermediate on Yokohama's web
site, that tire makes 910 revolutions per mile in the 185/60-14 size
and 913 revolutions per mile in the 195/50-15 size.  Which yields 0.3%
shorter gearing, not 4% longer.

Among nominal size, measured circumference, and measured distance per
revolution, the last is most accurate measure of how the tire affects
your gearing.  And of course, what you measured may be true for some model
or combination of models of tires.  But I don't think that it's
typical.  Most of the tires I've researched (by looking up
manufacturers' specs) have all had roughly the
same value for revolutions per mile in a given size.

The 205/45-16 are bigger around, or at least cover more ground: the
Yokohama A520 in that size is listed with 896 revolutions per mile.
About 2% longer gearing.

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94