RE: Driving Instruction

To: ba-autoX@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Driving Instruction
From: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 09:13:14 -0800
Craig Boyle asks:

>For example: How did you take the finish (in a slow
>car) at the last event - remember a tight right hander
>leading onto a short straight? is pinching the turn
>and keeping to the right correct, or takin a faster
>wider line?

That's a really good question. I tend to err, even in a Miata, on the side
of a tight line. Even though a wider line might seem faster, on an autocross
course you still don't have that much space to carry enough speed to go that
much faster.

Yet, so many top Miata drivers have told me that wide and swoopy is the way.
But that wasn't really a swoopy turn, though. Slaloms can be.

I think more important than lines is getting on the power as soon as
possible, and nailing each apex. How you get there is your choice. Byron
Short had a great piece in NAP last year, I think, comparing the runs of two
BS '99 Miatas at the Dallas Tour, both equipped with his GEEZ! software. I
think he was comparing himself with Darrin Disimo, but I'm not sure anymore.

Anyway, although the two drivers were doing almost identical times, the
diagram showed that they were taking completely different lines. One was
taking wider, swoopy lines, and the other took tighter lines. Their
aggression rankings, or whatever it's called, were about the same, though. I
think. It's all a blur to me.

But what I remember clearly is what Byron wrote, which was, "What's the big
deal about lines, anyway?" I thought that was kind of funny, seeing this
incredibly successful Solo II driver telling us that lines are overrated.

I completely agree though. It's far more important to get on the throttle
smoothly, and as early as possible.

-Katie