Re: Driving Instruction

To: axng4me@yahoo.com, ba-autoX@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Driving Instruction
From: "Rob Weinstock" <weinstro@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 18:10:13
>Skip Barber two day driving school.  It was fantastic and I learned a
>ton.  There was even a 16 year old there, sent by his parents to pass
>the class before he got his license.  He had never driven a stick
>before and at the end was taking the Vipers around an autocross course.

My sense is that Skip Barber is geared to somebody who is already pretty
confident behind the wheel. In your opinion, how would somebody who
struggles with lane changes, turning, pulling into a garage, etc., fair?
This would probably be great for me, but questionable for my spouse, the
subject of the above discourse. As an example, she's not confident enough to
drive on the freeway, yet. The speed scares her.

When we first looked into standard driver's ed, the courses were designed to
get the student to pass the state DL exam. There was no real effort to
impart real driving skill. They even offered to sell the answers to the
written exam!

So, she does have a driver's license, and is slowly getting more confident,
with some incidents along the way, but I'm interested in seeing her skills
improve in the interest of safety.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions,

Rob